Part-time Paramedication

Monday, June 26, 2006

Garbage dump + fire = stink

Yes, it's true. If one mixes the already repulsive smell of the garbage dump and the miracle of fire, one gets a disgusting smelly mess. How would I know? Well, I'll tell you. It's because I was there. For four hours! Presently in Squamish protecting the lives of thousands via the ambulance service, I was called out for a fire standby yesterday. This is normally pleasant and here is why:

A fire standby is required at most major fires by the fire department. Our job on scene is to be at their staging area (command post) and, when one firefighter comes in overheated we are to strip them down, douse them with water, cool them down and monitor their vitals before recommending they return to 'light duties' and sending them on their way. You can see how this would be good n'est pas? This particular fire standby was not pleasant and here is why:

We were at a dump, and it smelled bad.

Not only that, but the fire department decided to stage right beside a pile of poo that was being treated (read: sitting in the sun, drying out) (I stole that 'read' thing from Mike Laroy, I think it is clever. Props to Mike Laroy, one of the coolest guys I know).

So when we finally cleared to go help some poor elderly lady with her chest pain we smelled like pooey garbage and so did our ambulance. Poor, poor lady.

Tonight we are expecting a call from the police department. A man in an SUV sideswiped a truck, did a full 360 flip, lost a tire, and then drove for another km before taking off on foot naked with his rotwieler. They haven't found him yet, but how long can a naked man with a rotwieler go unnoticed?
It could be a busy night...

7 Comments:

  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Nater said…

    It may be just me, but it seems like (well, maybe just partially) Mike Laroy got props for being the only one to comment on your last post. Thus, here goes my effort at shameless self-glorification seeking:

    Your title made me laugh. As did the description of helping an old lady whilst smelling pooey and driving an ambulance that also smelled pooey. Overall, good use of the word "pooey."

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Ashley Ronnell said…

    Hm. I've never wanted so badly to call someone a "stinky poo."

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger alan.schram said…

    I wish I had a job where I got to strip firemen, get them wet, and send them out to save lives.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Michael LaRoy said…

    My mom thinks I'm cool too. That makes two! Anyone else??

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello there Ms. Bishop. Yes, it's been a couple weeks since you sent me the link to your blog. Sorry for the delay. I bet you were sitting at your computer waiting for me to leave you a comment. Again, sorry to put you through that.

    So....wow, I haven't seen you in, like, forever! Sounds like life is pretty good (besides smelling like poop)?

    It's great to hear from you. Congrats on tying the knot!

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger raych said…

    i love a cinzeo!! hey, post more stuff. how's work? or email me and tell me how it is, if it's secret and scandalous...or too boring for posting. or are you just waiting for a mike-laroy style build-up of comments before you post again? because if that's the case, i'm deleting this sucker. DELETED!!!

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Michael LaRoy said…

    Mike-LaRoy style build up of comments before I blog again? Do you see the irony therein, considering the subject of the now comment-laden post? I WAS ON VACATION!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home