Part-time Paramedication

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Saving lives and warm fuzzies

For the record, in 6 months of being a paramedic I have technically saved one life.
I think I can safely say that 'saving lives' is not the main part of this job. The other day, a medical office assistant reminded me what this job is all about.

My partner and I were waiting in a doctor's office for a patient to finish his appointment with the doctor. The office assistant looked over and said, "You guys do a really great job!"
Enter awkward moment... what does one say to this? "I know" or "no, go on" (Paramedics are not good at being glory hogs).
Anyways, she continued to tell us that when she was a small child, she had Crohn's Disease and was at one point taken to hospital via ambulance. She said, "the paramedics were so nice to me... they made me comfortable and even stroked my hair... now every time I see you guys I get warm fuzzies."
That is the reason I love my job. People don't remember treatments you do or medications you give, they remember the way you made them comfortable. When you got them an extra blanket or fluffed their pillow. People remember your good and caring attitude and I hope I never lose that.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger raych said…

    i also hope you never lose that. it's like being a good server, but with less of the ulterior motives and genuine bitchiness that goes on in the background. plus you're saving lives. and yes, we should hang out soon. i'll talk to the man about this weekend.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger alan.schram said…

    I too hope you never lose that. The sad part is that time often lessens the chance for the "extra mile". Stay strong. Also,who'd you save? I wanna hear that story!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home